Permits & Reservations

Permits are required for certain activities in Virgin Islands National Park (VIIS) or Virgin Islands Coral Reef National Monument (VICR). These include beach picnics, weddings, political events, public assemblies, demonstrations, athletic events, commercial filming or photography and research activities. A Commercial Use Authorization or Concessions Contract is required before conducting any business in the Park.

Information is provided below for each type of permit.

Senior citizens enjoying Hawksnest pavilion
Special Use Permits

The pavilions and beaches of Virgin Islands National Park are perfect for creating lifetime memories of your wedding, birthday, anniversary, or any other special event.

Here is how to have a successful special event in Virgin Islands National Park!

  • Read the letter from the Park's Superintendent which explains the "Special Use" permitting process.
  • Review the Fee Schedule.
  • Follow the instructions to complete the application for “Special Use Permits.”
  • Mail the completed application, along with a non-refundable application fee, to the address included on the application: Virgin Islands National Park, 1300 Cruz Bay Creek, St. John, VI 00830
  • Wedding ceremonies and elopements at the ruins or on the beaches:
    • Must take place before 9 am or after 4 pm.
    • Ceremonies at the ruins limited to 20 participants December - April and 30 participants May - November.
    • Ceremonies at the beaches limited to 30 participants December - April and 40 participants May - November.
Commercial Filming
Changes to Commercial Filming Permits on Park Land

Commericial Still Photography Permits
All Commercial Still Photography projects need a permit.*
*A permit is not necessary for personal photography or video.

Follow these simple steps for a successful commercial photography project.
  1. Review the guidelines carefully.
  2. Fill out the application and submit it to the address provided on the application.
Should you have any questions on the Special Use or Commercial Still Photography permits, the Special Use and Filming Coordinator, Ms. Laurelly Richards, will be glad to assist you. She can be contacted at (340) 776-6201 ext. 244 or e-mail the park with the subject line "Attn: Commercial Filming" or "Special Use Permits."
Researcher Collecting Data

NPS Photo

Permit for Scientific Research and Collecting
Please visit the National Park Service Research Permit and Reporting System (RPRS) for information regarding scientific research permits. If you have specific questions pertaining to research projects in Virgin Islands National Park or Virgin Islands Coral Reef National Monument please e-mail or call (340) 693-8950 ext. 225.
Commercial Services Permits

A Commercial Use Authorization or concessions contract is required prior to conducting any business in Virgin Islands National Park or Virgin Islands Coral Reef National Monument

Last updated: March 26, 2024

Park footer

Contact Info

Mailing Address:

1300 Cruz Bay Creek
St. John, VI 00830


340 776-6201
Headquarters/Visitor Center phone contact Information. Visitor Center hours Monday-Friday 8:15 am to 1:30 pm.

Contact Us