The Archeology Program at Virgin Islands National Park is working to illuminate the complex relationships between indigenous Caribbean cultures, European colonial powers, and Africans brought to these small islands. Below is a brief timeline of human habitation on St. John. For more information visit the Timeline of Human Habitation on St. John page.
- The first humans arrive in the Virgin Islands between 1000 BC to 200 BC.
- The Taino Indians arrived between AD 1200 to 1492.
- Europeans arrived between AD 1580 and 1700.
- Visitors from the United States vacationing and moving to the Virgin Islands between 1920 and 1950.
- The Virgin Islands National Park was established in 1956.