Pemberton's Headquarters Rehabilitation

Building with scaffolding holding up to two level front porch. Orange cones on the right of the building block off a flight of stair leading up to the building. Blue sky with clouds above the building
Pemberton's Headquarters in December 2021 prior to the start of the rehabilitation

NPS Photo

Project Overview

Pemberton's Headquarters is a National Historic Landmark structure acquired by the National Park Service in 2003 for inclusion in Vicksburg National Military Park. In this building on July 3, 1863, Confederate General John Pemberton met with his subordinate officers and decided to surrender the city of Vicksburg to Union General Ulysses S. Grant.

Repairs are necessary to preserve this National Historic Landmark Structure. The building is currently closed to visitors and employees due to concern about its safety. The roof is 4,000 square foot of deteriorating slate, thought to have been installed in the 1850s and is need of repair. The front porch is falling apart and is also in need of repair.

Timeline: Restoration of the front porch is currently scheduled for completion in mid-2024.
 

Current Status

 

Frequently Asked Questions

Last updated: January 23, 2024

Park footer

Contact Info

Mailing Address:

3201 Clay Street
Vicksburg, MS 39183

Phone:

601 636-0583

Contact Us