South Fort is located on Washington Street, approximately one-half mile north of Interstate 20. The batteries at South Fort anchored the southernmost position of the Confederate defensive line, and the heavy guns located at here had a commanding view of the Mississippi River and any approach made by the Federal navy. South Fort, like all of the Confederate river batteries, proved ineffective at preventing the passage of Union ships, and General Grant was able to run boats past the river defenses on both April 16 and April 22, 1863. Modern-day historians and military engineers suggest that the elevation of a majority of the river batteries was not ideal. Once Union troops were past Vicksburg, South Fort was instrumental in preventing General Grant from attacking Vicksburg from the river.
Last updated: October 25, 2018