97th Illinois Infantry
Monument is located on Union Avenue 300 yards south of the Minnesota Memorial.. Also a marker designating the assault of 22 May 1863, 400' east of Confederate Avenue southeast of the Railroad Redoubt and a marker designating a sharpshooter's in the mowed gallery running north and south 400 yards west-southwest of the Minnesota Memorial. This unit was attached to Col. William J. Landram's 2nd Brigade of Brig. Gen. Andrew J. Smith's 10th Division, Maj. Gen'ls John A. McClernand (relieved of command 19 June 1863) & Edward O.C. Ord's XIII Army Corps and was commanded by Col. Friend S. Rutherford & Lt. Col. Lewis D. Martin.