Father Kino visited the Pima village of Doágibubig in 1687 and established the mission of Nuestra Señora de los Remedios. By 1694 a large church and living quarters were under construction. However, the building process was slow and it was not until 1699 that the walls were finally up and roofing was begun. During that year the church suffered rain damage. After the damage was repaired and the roof completed, the church was put to use.
Father Kino immediately began a building program that would include a large spacious church at both Remedios and Cocóspera. Both churches were completed at the same time and were twins of each other. In January of 1704 Kino dedicated the two churches and a week of celebrations.
Both Remedios and Cocóspera were subject to frequent Apache attacks so defense towers were added to the churches. These, however were not very effective and Apache attacks continued to decimate the population. Frequent epidemics also took their toll on the population. In 1730 the church at Remedios was in ruins and it was completely abandoned by 1740. Nothing remains of the church of Remedios, but one can get an idea of what it would have looked like by viewing pictures of the church at Cocóspera.