To learn more about the historic Trail of Tears, choose books and articles from this general bibliography of sources:
- Anonymous. "Ross Directed Emigration Detachments." Journal of Cherokee Studies 2 (Summer): 186-87, 1978.
- Buttrick, Daniel S. 1838-39 Diary. Houghton Library, Harvard University.
- Cannon, B. B. "An Overland Journey to the West (October-December 1837)." Journal of Cherokee Studies 3 (Summer): 166-73, 1978.
- Deas, Lt. Edward. "Emigrating to the West by Boat (April-May 1838)." Journal of Cherokee Studies 3 (Summer): 158-63, 1978.
- Foreman, Grant. Indian Removal -The Emigration of the Five Civilized Tribes of Indians. Norman: University of Oklahoma Press, 1932.
- _____. The Five Civilized Tribes: A Brief History and a Century of Progress. Norman: University of Oklahoma Press, 1932.
- Henegar, H. B. "Recollections of the Cherokee Removal." Journal of Cherokee Studies 3 (Summer): 177-79, 1978.
- Hudson, Charles. The Southeastern Indians. Knoxville: University of Tennessee Press, 1976.
- King, Duane H., and E. Raymond Evans, Editors. "The Trail of Tears: Primary Documents of the Cherokee Removal." Journal of Cherokee Studies 3 (Summer): 131-90, 1978.
- King, Duane H. Cherokee Heritage: Official Guidebook to the Museum of the Cherokee Indian. Cherokee, NC: Cherokee Communications, 1988.
- Lightfoot, B. B. "The Cherokee Emigrants in Missouri, 1837 -1839." Missouri Historical Review 56 (January): 156-67, 1962.
- Morrow, W. I. I. 1839 Diary. Western Historical Manuscript Collection, University of Missouri, Columbia.
- Mooney, James. Historical Sketch of the Cherokee. Chicago: Aldine Publishing Company, 1975.
- Moulton, Gary E. John Ross: Cherokee Chief. Athens: University of Georgia Press, 1978.
- Perdue, Theda. The Cherokee. New York: Chelsea House Publishers. Prucha, 1989.
- Francis Paul. "Andrew Jackson's Indian Removal Policy: A Reassessment." Journal of American History 56 (December): 527-39, 1989 .
- Scott, Winfield. "If Not Rejoicing at Least in Comfort." Journal of Cherokee Studies 3 (Summer): 138-42, 1978.
- Starr, Emmet. History of the Cherokee Indians and Their Legends and Folk Lore. Oklahoma City: The Warden Company, 1921.
- Thornton, Russell. "Cherokee Population Losses during the Trail of Tears: A New Perspective and a New Estimate." Ethnohistory 31 (4): 289-300, 1984.
- _____. The Cherokees: A Population History. Lincoln: University of Nebraska Press, 1990.
- Wilkins, Thurman. Cherokee Tragedy: The Ridge Family and the Decimation of a People. Norman: University of Oklahoma Press, 1986.
- Woodward, Grace Steele. The Cherokees. Norman: University of Oklahoma Press, 1963.
For more information about archival sources check out the Research.