|<<Fitting Your Work to Time & Place||
Jacksonville National Historic District
The Jackson County Courthouse is a key structure of the National Landmark Historic District and an excellent example of the treatment, Preservation. From 1947 to the present, the building has been preserved, “as is” by the Southern Oregon Historical Society. Since alterations and additions are not a part of this treatment, the focus is primarily on maintaining and preserving existing historic features.
As noted, possibly the most significant change over time to the Jacksonville County Courthouse was alteration of the original 1884 front porch (below left) in this historic postcard view. Functional and decorative elements of the original porch — balusters, corner posts, terminal orbs, and flat roof — were all replaced with an unadorned shallow-pitched gable roof in 1946 (see photo, right).
In Restoration, the appearance of the early front porch would be re-created, but in Preservation, the later front porch is retained. This is a primary distinction between the treatments, and is clearly illustrated in this Oregon project example.
Centennial celebration. On February 11, 1884, court convened in the new Jackson County Courthouse in Jacksonville, Oregon. On February 11, 1984, the Southern Oregon Historical Society hosted a celebration, and completed a special commemorative coin designed in honor of the celebration.