|<<Fitting Your Work to Time & Place||
Jacksonville National Historic District
First, a courthouse, then a museum. There were only two major alterations to the building during its use as the Jackson County Courthouse. Additions were constructed in 1908 and in 1921. In 1927, the county seat was moved to Medford, Oregon. A third exterior alteration was made in 1946, when the original front entry porch was re-built. At that time, alterations were also made to the Courthouse interior for its new use as the Jacksonville Museum. A brief chronology of the two uses and physical change over time is provided below:
• In 1908, twin, single story vault additions were constructed
to provide more room for county records.
• In 1921, a two-story brick addition with a full-height concrete basement was constructed in the rear.
• In 1927, the county seat was moved to Medford, Oregon, at which time the courthouse function ended.
Between times. In the 1930s, the building was used as the office for a local Boy Scout Troop and for meetings and other public functions, such as dances. During WW II (1941-45), the Courthouse was used for Civilian Air Defense meetings. No exterior alterations were undertaken from 1927 to 1946.
<< Museum from 1946 to 2002…>>
• In 1946, the Jacksonville Courthouse became the Jacksonville Museum and home of the Southern Oregon Historical Society.
• That year, the existing front entry porch was re-built in order to remedy standing water conditions, changing its configuration. Interior changes were made for the new museum use. This use continues to the present.