Last updated: January 24, 2024
The interior appears almostly exactly how it looked when the Sandburg family lived here. Take a tour inside the home to learn about the story of Carl Sandburg's legacy to America's literary history, Mrs. Sandburg's leadership in agriculture, and the many family memories and moments experienced at home.
Sandburg Home tour availability varies by season
2024 Winter HouseTour Schedule January 2 - May 31, 2024
Make advance reservations for Sandburg Home tours at recreation.gov!
Access to the historically furnished rooms is by guided tour only.
- Tours are available Wednesday to Sunday at 11am, 12pm, 1pm, 2pm, 3pm.
- Advance reservations available at recreation.gov. 10 people per 30-minute tour. Advanced reservations, are strongly recommended as day-of visit, last minute tickets may not be available.
- The house tour fee will be $10, adults; and $6 for adults 62 and older, including all pass holders. House tour tickets for children (aged 15 and under) will remain free of charge. However, children’s tickets reserved online will incur $1 online processing fee. All America the Beautiful Interagency Passholders will receive a discount on tour tickets.
- House tour fees fund interpretive and preservation efforts in the house, including house tours, free school programs, exhibits and curatorial support for the 38,000 museum objects on display in the house.
- The only way to see the furnished interior of the Sandburg Home is through a guided tour or on a virtual tour.
- Reservations: Reserving in advance at recreation.gov lets you pick your preferred house tour time. Advanced reservations, are strongly recommended as day-of visit, last minute tickets may not be available. (The only way to see the furnished interior of the Sandburg Home is through a guided tour.). Please note: Walk up Tours can only be purchased with a credit card.
- Strollers are not permitted on the house tour, but there is a place to leave them for storage. Infants and small children should be carried through the house while on tour.
Adults age 16-61 - $10.00
Adults age 62 and older, and all interagency pass holders - $6.00
Children age 15 and under - $0.00
The Sandburg Home is a three-story antebellum home built in 1838. The ground floor is accessible as it is on ground level with small ramps at the thresholds. The main level is accessible by stairs or a lift for visitors using mobility devices. The top level is only accessible by stairs, however the bulk of the visitor tour is on the ground and main level of the home.
Assistance Available During Your Visit
- A walker and wheelchair are available by request.
- Assisted listening devices are available for the house tour and videos
- A shuttle operates seasonally from the restrooms near the parking lot to the house and barn