From the South River Picnic Grounds, this route is a circuit hike that takes you to the base of a 83’ waterfall. A great hike for wildflower and bird enthusiasts, alike! This hike has one stream crossing.
Distance: 3.3-mile circuit hike
Difficulty: Moderate (explanation of our hiking difficulty scale)
Hiking Time: 2 hour 15 minutes
Elevation Gain: 910 feet
- From the trailhead just below the South River Picnic Grounds comfort station (mile 62.7), take the blue-blazed South River Falls Trail.
- You'll cross the Appalachian Trail, but stay on the South River Falls Trail to the stone-walled observation point.
- From the observation point, continue on the South River Falls Trail to the trailpost.
- Go left onto the yellow-blazed South River Falls Road.
- The trail joins the South River Fire Road.
- Continue on the fire road to its intersection with the Appalachian Trail.
- Turn left and follow the A.T. (white-blazed) to its intersection with the South River Falls Trail.
- Go right to return to your starting point.