Last updated: December 30, 2020
Thing to Do
Explore Sheep Mountain Table
Navigating to Sheep Mountain Table
Sheep Mountain Table is located on the border of the North and South Unit of Badlands National Park. Sheep Mountain Table Road is a dirt road that should not be driven during or after storms. Four-wheel drive vehicles are recommended, even in dry conditions. This road begins on the west side of SD Hwy 27, 4.5 miles south of SD Hwy 44 at the town of Scenic.
From SD Hwy 27, Sheep Mountain Table Road continues 5 miles up to the top of the table and stops at an overlook. The road beyond the overlook is accessible only by four-wheel drive, high clearance vehicles. The road continues 2.5 miles past the overlook and comes to a dead end. If you have questions about driving up Sheep Mountain Table, please contact the park at (605) 433-5361.
Hiking Sheep Mountain Table
Visitors who are not driving four-wheel drive, high clearance vehicles can still access the views from the end of Sheep Mountain Table by foot. Park at the overlook on top of the table and hike on the dirt road for 2.5 miles to reach the end of the road.
- Seeing Badlands National Park can be exciting, especially when you spot the perfect view. Be sure to pull off into a pull-out or overlook to enjoy. Please do not stop in the road, as this stops traffic.
- Wildlife is commonly seen on many park roads. Remember to keep a minimum of a 100-foot distance from any wildlife -- if the wildlife notices you, you are too close.
- Follow all posted speed limits and be especially careful when passing parking lots, where pedestrian traffic is common.
- Check the weather. Weather in Badlands National Park can change rapidly. Use extra caution when driving in rainy, snowy, or icy conditions.
- Lost? Cell phones are not always reliable in the park, where service can be spotty. Make sure to pick up a park map from an entry booth, the Ben Reifel Visitor Center, the White River Visitor Center, or check out online maps before heading out.
- Visit this safety page for more information on having a safe visit to Badlands National Park.