Last updated: February 10, 2021
A hike to a dazzling 67 foot waterfall. For most of this hike, you’ll be on a beautiful trail in one of the Park’s federally designated Wilderness areas.
Distance: 4-mile circuit hike
Difficulty: Moderate (explanation of our hiking difficulty scale)
Hiking Time: 4 hours 30 minutes
Elevation Gain: 910 feet
- From the Fishers Gap parking area (mile 49.4), cross Skyline Drive and start down the fire road.
- Just after the chain, take a left onto the Skyland-Big Meadows Horse Trail (yellow-blazed).
- In about 0.6-mile take the blue-blazed Rose River Loop Trail.
- Follow it past the 67-foot falls.
- Continue to the bridge, where you begin hiking up a steep, rocky section past beautiful cascades.
- At the fire road (yellow-blazed), turn right across bridge.
- For an added treat (and about .25-mile more hiking), you can take the Dark Hollow Falls Trail to the base of the falls and back.
- Then continue uphill about one mile back to Skyline Drive.
The average hiking duration does not take into consideration fitness, exploration, rest, contemplation, etc.
Pets must be on a leash no longer than 6 feet at all times.
An entrance fee is required to get into Shenandoah National Park.
The trailhead for this hike is located at the north end of Fishers Gap parking area, adjacent to Fishers Gap Overlook.
This trail does not meet ADA accessibility guidelines.
Click the image to download the trail map. Print it out at home or save it to your phone to take with you on your hike.