Last updated: January 29, 2021
Leaving from Big Meadows amphitheater, this hike leads to an observation point over a beautiful 81 foot waterfall.
Distance: 3.3-mile circuit hike
Difficulty: Moderate (explanation of our hiking difficulty scale)
Hiking Time: 4 hours
Elevation Gain: 990 feet
- From the Big Meadows amphitheater parking area, walk downhill from the concrete marker post and turn left on the Appalachian Trail.
- Stay right onto the blue-blazed Lewis Falls Trail. It’s a steep, rocky descent to the falls viewing platform.
- To return, take the trail up to its intersection with a fire road and turn right.
- In a few yards, turn left onto the Appalachian Trail.
- Follow uphill to return to the parking area.
The average hike duration does not take into consideration fitness, exploration, rest, contemplation, etc.
Pets must be on a leash no longer than 6 feet at all times.
An entrance fee is required to get into Shenandoah National Park.
The trailhead for this hike is located behind the Big Meadows amphitheater, in the back of the Big Meadows picnic grounds.
This trail does not meet ADA accessibility guidelines.
Click the image to download the trail map. Print it out at home or save it to your phone to take with you on your hike.