THING TO DO
Hiking & Exploring Mound City Group
Visit the park's Directions page for detailed directions to the park's visitor center and for maps of the local area.
Duration depends on level of interest and personal stamina. A walk around the earthen mounds on the nature trail in the forested part is just under one mile and will average about 30 minutes, depending on pace and level of interest. There are benches situated on the trail for visitor use.
All ages, but minors must be with an adult parent or guardian especially on the river walk area.
Pets are always welcome, but must be leashed and in control at all times. Owners are responsible for picking up pet's poop and disposing of properly.
Mound City Group is located on State Route 104, just on the northen fringe of Chillicothe.
No reservations required
Park grounds are open every day of the year, from sunrise to sunset.
Mound City Group Visitor Center:
- Parking: Two spaces available, closest to building
- Entrance: Front and side doors to visitor center open outwards, manually operated.
- Trails: Paved from parking lot area, flat surface. One paved sidewalk, slight decline when walking towards the nature trail and mound enclosure area. Nature trail covered with mulch and pebbled dirt on north side of enclosure, south side of trail is grassy and flat.
- Restrooms: Men's and Women's both wheelchair accessible with wall-mounted baby changing stations in both.
- Water: Water fountains located inside visitor center between restrooms and one located outside off of parking lot sidewalk (outside fountain is shut off in winter).
- No pay phones
- Benches and picnic tables: Provided around the outside of visitor center building, including a few wheelchair-friendly picnic tables.
- Exhibits: Artifacts on display in glass cases, visually and physically available from a wheelchair. Bench and interactive kiosk in rear of museum are wheelchair friendly. Exit doors from museum to paved patio are manually operated.
- Mobility-Impaired: One All-Terrain wheelchair is available for first come, first serve use. Wheels have deep, oversize tread to help with traction on mulch, dirt and grass trails. Availability of All-Terrain wheelchair is during normal visitor center operating hours.
Last updated: January 18, 2017