How to get thereThe Victoria Mine trail starts at the southwestern end of Twin Peaks Campground, where there is a small parking area and trailhead information. The trail to Victoria Mine is easy to moderate and is generally flat, but does include some ups and downs crossing arroyos (washes). Victoria Mine is 2.2 miles (3.5 kilometers) from the trailhead. All mine shafts are closed and fenced off. For your safety do not enter the mine.
Distance: 4.4 miles (7.2 kilometers) round-trip
Time: 3 - 4 hours round trip
The history of the initial establishment of Victoria Mine is unknown, but it rose to prominence when Cipriano Ortega, a notorious businessman in Mexico, acquired the mine in 1880. Under Ortega, the mine was known as “La Americana,” and brought in about $80,000 worth of silver ore. Ortega carried an unsavory reputation, and some accounts say he was a ruthless gunman and had killed several men. In 1899, Mikul G. Levy, an American businessman who operated several mines in Ajo and Sonora, purchased the mine. He also operated several general stores, including one in Ajo and one at Quitobaquito. He renamed the mine “La Victoria” in honor of Victoria Leon, the wife of Levy’s storekeeper, Jose Leon.
History of Victoria Mine
During his ownership, they only extracted another $40,000 of silver ore, partially because of the high-water table of the area and the resulting technical problems. Peak mining activity occurred between the 1890s and 1910s, though sporadic mining efforts took place until 1976 under special use permits from the National Park Service. When Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument was designated a wilderness area in 1976, mining ceased.