The Dorr Mountain South Ridge Loop features panoramic views of Mount Desert Island from the top of Dorr Mountain and offers a strenuous beginning climb with a long descent through the forest.
- Distance: 3.2 miles round trip
- Terrain: Forested path, granite ridgeline, uneven surfaces, iron rungs and ladders
- Start at the parking area off Maine Route 3, just past the Tarn and Sieur de Monts Entrance.
- Follow signs for the Ladder Trail. Continue to the intersection with Kane Path.
- Continue straight on the Ladder Trail. Begin a steep ascent for .4 miles up granite boulders, steps, and a series of iron rungs. This section can be very slippery when wet. Use caution.
- At the intersection with Schiff Path, continue straight (up) towards Dorr Mountain.
- The trail remains fairly steep for .4 miles as you ascend the cliff face.
- At the trail junction, turn left and continue for .1 miles to reach the summit of Dorr Mountain.
- Begin the descent down Dorr South Ridge Trail for 1.2 miles through a forested area.
- At the base of the mountain, turn left at the intersection with Canon Brook Trail.
- Continue for 1 mile along a fairly level path.
- At the intersection with Ladder Trail and Kane Path, turn right and return to the parking area.