Pets are not allowed on this hike. Bearfence is an exhilarating rock scramble that leads to a magnificent 360-degree view of the Virginia Piedmont and Shenandoah Valley. If you have a fear of heights, it’s not for you. And if it’s wet or icy, it’s not safe!
Distance: 1.4-mile round trip hike
Difficulty: Moderate (explanation of our hiking difficulty scale)
Hiking Time: 1 hour
Elevation Gain: 311 feet
- From the Bearfence parking area (mile 56.4), cross Skyline Drive and climb the stairs up the bank.
- At the trail post, continue straight ahead on Bearfence Loop Trail to the top of the rock scramble.
- After the rock scramble, turn right onto the connector trail.
- Go right on the Appalachian Trail north.
- At the intersection, turn left and return to the parking lot.