Channel Islands Live Dive: 6th Grade
- Grade Level:
- Middle School: Sixth Grade through Eighth Grade
- State Standards:
- NS 5–8, C/Life Sciences: Structure and function in living systems; F/Science in Personal and Social Perspectives: Populations, resources, and environments
Students explore the kelp forest with a park ranger-diver through an interactive distance learning program. As kelp forest inhabitants are encountered, students identify their roles as producers or consumers. Food chains are constructed and the transfer of energy is discussed. Affects of human activities on kelp forests are also explored.
Broadcast length: 30 minutes
Grade level: Sixth
- Give examples of the functions (producer, consumer, and decomposer) organisms serve in the kelp forest.
- Identify humans as consumers within the kelp forest.
- Describe the effects of human practices on the transfer of matter through natural systems, such as kelp forests.
- How does change in an ecosystem affect the entire ecosystem?
- What affect do humans have on ecosystems?
Schedule a Program
This FREE Channel Islands Live Distance Learning Program is available for interactive participation at your location and at the park visitor center in Ventura, California. Visit Schedule a Program for more information.