Last updated: September 2, 2016
Channel Islands Live Dive: 4th Grade
- Grade Level:
- Upper Elementary: Third Grade through Fifth Grade
- State Standards:
- NS K–4, C/Life Sciences: Organisms and environments; F/Science in Personal and Social Perspectives: Changes in environments
Students explore the kelp forest with a park ranger-diver through an interactive distance learning program. As kelp forest inhabitants are encountered, fourth grade students identify their roles as producers or consumers. Food chains are constructed. What if one organism in a food chain disappears? What if some condition in the kelp forest changes?
Broadcast length: 30 minutes
Grade level: Fourth
- Classify organisms from a marine ecosystem as producers and consumers and explain their roles in that system.
- Explain potential consequences when a component of an ecosystem is changed or eliminated.
- Describe factors that can adversely affect the health of an ecosystem.
- How does change in an ecosystem affect the entire ecosystem?
- What affect do humans have on ecosystems?
- Broadcast Lesson Plan
- Pre-Program Activity
- Pre-Program Activity Sheet
- Species ID Key
- Live Dive Data Sheet
- Post-Program Activity
Schedule a Program
This FREE Channel Islands Live Distance Learning Program is available for interactive participation at your location and at the park visitor center in Ventura, California. Visit Schedule a Program for more information.