Last updated: June 22, 2016
"Introduction to Archeology" Midwest Archeological Center Distance Learning Program
- Grade Level:
- Upper Elementary: Third Grade through Fifth Grade
- Literacy and Language Arts,Social Studies
- Common Core Standards:
- 3.SL.1, 3.SL.2, 3.SL.3, 3.SL.4, 3.SL.6, 4.SL.1, 4.SL.3, 4.SL.4, 5.SL.1, 5.SL.3, 5.SL.4
What part do archeologists play in the National Park Service?
Students will discuss and engage in the basic roles of archeology within the NPS, as explored through specific examples from the Midwest Region and Midwest Archeological Center (MWAC).
- Students will learn about the locations of some Midwest national parks.
- Students will understand the basic definition of archeology.
- Students will discuss what archeologists do and understand the implications of the career.
- Students will value heritage artifacts & cultural resources through an understanding of their importance.
- Students will be engaged with the principles of stewardship and cultural resource management.
Phone: (402) 437-5392x 105
Email: Dawn Bringelson <email@example.com>
The “what do Archeologists study” worksheet comes from page 6 of the MWAC Junior Ranger Handbook. It is to be used in conjunction with discussion about archaeology and the career of an archeologist.
Students will discuss and engage in the basic roles of archeology within the NPS, as explored through specific examples from the Midwest Region and Midwest Archeological Center (MWAC). Through the discussion of artifacts, the concept of stewardship will be introduced and discussed.