From ancient canal builders to modern day masters, canals have played a large part in the development of industry and settlements in the United States.
Other interesting and lesser known canal stories in the national park system include:
- Pennsylvania Canals, Allegheny Portage Railroad National Historic Site
- Ohio & Erie Canal, Cuyahoga Valley National Park
- Delaware and Hudson Canal, in Upper Delaware Scenic and Recational River and Lower Delaware National Wild and Scenic River
- Potomac Heritage National Scenic Trail
- Eric Canalway National Heritage Coordior, Saratoga National Historical Park