Prohibited Items and Activities
Visitors will be screened at all entrance points. All coolers, backpacks, packages, and persons will be subject to inspection.
- No grills, alcohol, glass containers, or personal fireworks are permitted on NPS property
- Launching, landing or operating unmanned or remote controlled aircraft on National Park Serviced property is strictly prohibited.
- Personal tents that block other visitors' views and tents that require stakes are prohibited on the National Mall and along the George Washington Memorial Parkway.
- Due to limited space on the Washington Monument grounds, visitors are asked to refrain from recreational activities (e.g. –volleyball, badminton, etc.).
- It is strongly recommend that pets be left at home.
- Possession of firearms in national parks is prohibited, governed by federal as well as local law, which may vary depending on the jurisdiction in which the national park is located. All visitors should be aware of and follow applicable firearms laws of the District of Columbia and the Commonwealth of Virginia.
- There is no parking allowed in the lanes of, or the grassy areas adjacent to, the George Washington Memorial Parkway at any time.
- Leave pets at home
- Travel by Metro
- Bring plenty of water
Due to safety concerns and large crowds, no grills, alcohol, glass bottles, or personal fireworks are permitted on NPS property, as grilling and personal fireworks risk fires.
Last updated: November 17, 2016