National Historic Landmark Special Studies
In addition to theme studies which establish a national historic context and study list of potential NHLs, the NHL Program undertakes other special studies as the need arises to understand the context for a specific topic or group of properties. These studies can range from extensive contextual studies on an important aspect of American history to resource guides giving brief descriptions of current and potential NHLs.
- Adirondack Camps (2007). Available for download (accessible PDF 1.8 MB).
- African American NHL Assessment Study (2008)
- Archeology Inventory (1999; updated 2003)
- Beyond the Fireworks of '76 (African American History) (1973)
- Capitols as National Historic Landmarks Resource Guide (revised 2021)
- Captain John Smith Chesapeake National Historic Water Trail (2006)
- Covered Bridges NHL Context Study (2012). Available for download (accessible PDF 6.6 MB).
- Lewis and Clark Eastern Legacy Study (2007)
- Lighthouse Context Statement. Available for download (accessible PDF 7.7 MB).
- Mississippi Delta: The Nile of the New World
- Modern Architecture (2003). Available for download (accessible PDF 1 MB).
- Modernism in Bartholomew County, Indiana, from 1942 (1999; updated 2012). Available for download (accessible PDF 1.9 MB).
- National Home for Disabled Volunteer Soldiers (2007)
- Presidential History: List of Associated NHLs (1981)
- War of 1812: List of Associated NHLs
- Washita Battlefield (1964)
- Frank Lloyd Wright and the NHL Program Resource Guide (revised 2022)
Last updated: August 17, 2022