Do I need a permit?

Most visitors do not need a permit. Permits are needed for activities beyond a typical visit to the park by a family or individual. At this park, they fall into two categories: film permits and special use permits.


Film & Special Use Permits

Download the Film Permit
Required for filming or taking photographs at the park for a movie, documentary, TV show or other commercial use. Photos or videos taken by visitors for their personal use do not require a permit. Neither do breaking news stories - see News Gathering section below.

Download the Special Use Permit
Required for organizing and performing activities or assemblies which provide a benefit to an individual, group or organization, rather than the public at large. Special use permits are also needed for activities that require National Park Service staff to protect park resources, the public interest, or both.

Examples include, but are not limited to, the following:

  • ceremonies
  • performances
  • festivals
  • cultural programs

Filing a permit application alone does not grant you the right to your activity. Permit applications may be approved or rejected by the park. The $50 fee is nonrefundable, whether your application is approved or denied.

Permit applications must be submitted at least five (5) business days in advance
The park requires permit applications to be submitted at least five (5) business days before the proposed event.

Permits are reviewed & coordinated through the park’s Permit Office (646) 356-2107 or email.

Permit Application Fee
Once a permit application is submitted, you will be charged a nonrefundable $50 application fee. This fee will not be returned even if your application is rejected. The $50 application fee may be waived for those submitting requests for school band, choir or dance performances and for certain ceremonies, such as reenlistments.

First Amendment Activities
Freedom of speech, press, religion, and assembly are constitutional rights. However, the courts have recognized that activities associated with the exercise of these rights may be reasonably regulated to protect park resources. Therefore, all First Amendment activities require special use permits. The National Park Service may regulate the time, place, and manner in which they are conducted.

Application Submittal
Please read the application carefully before filling it out. Special Use Permit applications and Filming Permit applications may be submitted via email or sent via US Postal Service to:

Statue of Liberty National Monument
Attn: Permits
Liberty Island
New York, NY 10004

Last updated: November 20, 2019

Contact the Park

Mailing Address:

Liberty Island
New York, NY 10004


(212) 363-3200

Contact Us