Filming and Photography Permits

Do I need a permit?

This is the number one question we get asked. It is our experience that if you think you do, then more often than not, you do.

Please review this information carefully prior to applying for a permit or contacting our office. This will inform you on the type of permit you can apply for.

Many questions regarding filming or photography in these parks are answered on the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) page.

Commercial Filming

All commercial filming activities taking place within Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks require a permit. Commercial filming means the film, electronic, magnetic, digital, or other recording of a moving image by a person, business, or other entity for a market audience with the intent of generating income.

Non-Commercial Filming

Though considered non-commercial, projects such as student films, government-sponsored films, and some non-commercial news media may require a permit to manage the activity to minimize resource damage and reduce conflicts with other users. We may require documentation confirming that these permitted projects are non-commercial in nature.

Still Photography

Still photography requires a permit under the following conditions:

  • Product or service advertisement is involved
  • Talent/models, props, crews or sets are involved
  • The project has the potential to disrupt other park activities or visitors
  • More than just hand-carried equipment is utilized
  • The project requires access to an area normally closed or restricted to general public use
  • Access to an area outside of normal public use hours is required
  • The project carries a potential risk to park resources
  • The activity raises safety concerns that can be mitigated through issuance of a permit with restrictions
  • We would incur additional administrative costs to monitor the activity.

Been here before?

Visit the Ready to Apply page.

If you still have questions, look for more Information and FAQs on filming and photography in these parks.


Last updated: December 18, 2017

Contact the Park

Mailing Address:

47050 Generals Highway
Three Rivers, CA 93271


(559) 565-3341

Contact Us