A special park use is defined as an activity that takes place in a park area and provides a benefit to an individual, group or organization, rather than the public at large and that requires some degree of management from the National Park Service to protect park resources and public interest. The National Park Service may authorize a special park use permit providing the activity will not cause derogation of the park's resources or values, visitor experiences, or the purpose for which the park was established.

The completion and submission of a Special Use Permit application (Word Document Download) and the processing fee ($150.00) does not guarantee a permit will be authorized. Any permit request received less than 30 days in advance will be processed as quickly as possible but may not be issued because of time constraints.

Activities that Require a Permit

Special Use Permits

Special Park Use Permits (SUP) are required for short-term activities that takes place in the park and provides a benefit to an individual, group or organization, rather than the public at large; written authorization is required and some degree of management control from the NPS to protect park resources and the public interest; and are not prohibited by law or regulation.

Events that need a SUP
  • Athletic Events
  • Parades
  • Public Spectator Attraction
  • Ceremonies
  • Weddings
  • First Amendment (for groups of 26 or greater)
    • Public Assemblies
    • Meetings
    • Gatherings
    • Demonstrations
  • Memorialization

Commercial Filming

All commercial filming requires a permit. Any digital or film recording of a visual image or sound recording by a person, business, or other entity for a market audience, such as for a documentary, television or feature film, advertisement, or similar project needs a Commercial Filming Permit. It does not include news coverage or visitor use.

Still Photography

Still photography permits are needed when the activity takes places at a location closed to the public, models are used, sets, props, or when the park will incur on additional administrative costs to monitor the activity. The park will monitor the activity to avoid impairment or incompatible use of the resources and values of the park, to limit resource damage, or to minimize health or safety risks to the visiting public.

All commercial filming and still photography permits are subject to cost recovery and location fee. No waivers are allowed.

For further information, please contact the Permit Coordinator at 787-729-6777, ext 232, or e-mail us.

Special Use Permit Forms

Below you will find the instructions and forms to start the Special Use Permit process.
Instructions for obtaining a Special Use Permit (Microsoft Word Document Download)
In addition to the permit application charge, the park is authorized to recover and retain all costs associated with monitoring and managing special park use permits and a location fee except for First Amendment events.

Questions relating to special use permits may be e-mailed to: Special Park Use Coordinator

Written inquiries may be sent to:

Special Park Use Coordinator
San Juan National Historic Site
501 Calle Norzagaray
San Juan, Puerto Rico 00901
(787) 729-6777 office, ext 232

Last updated: January 6, 2021

Park footer

Contact Info

Mailing Address:

501 Norzagaray Street
San Juan , PR 00901


787 729-6777

Contact Us

Stay Connected