One of the most significant features of the memorial landscape is the Hahn Memorial. The Hahn Memorial is a small, (1/10 acre) courtyard that opens off North Main Street, was designed by architect Norman M. Isham and constructed by the city of Providence in 1931-33. The centerpiece of the memorial is an octagonal limestone wellcurb traditionally held to contain the source of the Roger Williams Spring.
The park was given to the city of Providence by Judge Jacob Hahn in memory of his father, Isaac Hahn, the first person of Jewish faith to be elected to public office from Providence. The memorial contains two bronze plaques mounted at the main entrance gate on North Main Street. The Hahn Memorial is significant under National Register criterion for its association with the history of commemoration in Providence and as a representative example of early twentieth-century landscape design by architect Norman M. Isham. The Hahn Memorial is also a contributing resource in the National Register-listed College Hill Historic District.
Last updated: February 26, 2015