A Wilderness Bivouac is defined as a temporary, open-air encampment.
- Permits are issued only to technical climbers.
- The climb must be 4 or more technical pitches and 3½ or more miles from the trailhead.
- Party size is limited to 4 people and all members must be climbing.
- A bivouac must be established:
1. within the designated bivy zone, or at the base or on the face of the climb.
2. at least 70 adult steps (200 feet/60 meters) from water.
3. with camp set up at dusk and taken down before dawn.
4. without the use of erected type shelters, tents or supported tarps.
5. on rock or snow only, not on vegetation, and out of meadows.
- Fires prohibited. Use portable stoves only.
- Stock prohibited.