Place

Burlingham House Visitor Center

A red house with white trim and a green door.
Visit the Burlingham House Visitor Center.

Xiomaro.com

Quick Facts

Accessible Rooms, Assistive Listening Systems, Automated External Defibrillator (AED), Benches/Seating, Captioned Media, Cellular Signal, Gifts/Souvenirs/Books, Historical/Interpretive Information/Exhibits, Information, Information - Maps Available, Information - Ranger/Staff Member Present, Information Kiosk/Bulletin Board, Internet/WiFi Available, Junior Ranger Activity, Junior Ranger Booklet Available, Low-Vision Access, Open Captioning, Parking - Auto, Scenic View/Photo Spot, Tactile Exhibit, Wheelchair Accessible

The Burlingham House, bears the name of Julian Alden Weir's youngest daughter, Cora Weir Burlingham, who lived in this house from 1931 to 1986. Today the Burlingham House serves as the park's visitor center and and museum store. The visitor center is open seasonally. Brochures, self-guided tours, Junior Ranger activities, and the National Park Passport Stamp are available year-round on the front porch.

History:

Julian Alden Weir's Branchville farm was composed of parcels of land from two neighboring colonial farms. Weir first acquired the 153-acre Beers farm in 1882, consisting of property north of Pelham Lane and down to present-day Weir Pond. In 1907, he acquired 50 acres from the neighboring Webb Farm. In total Weir's land eventually encompassed 238 acres.

The Burlingham House, part of the original Webb Farm, bears the name of Weir's youngest daughter, Cora Weir Burlingham. Educated in both interior design and horticulture, Cora commissioned the broad garden terraces nearby, the Sunken Garden, and the adjacent stone potting shed. Much of the stonework was done by local stone mason and neighbor, Joe Knoche.

To the south are fields that border the Weir Preserve. In 1969, Cora donated 37 acres of her land to the Connecticut Chapter of The Nature Conservancy, marking the start of the Weir Preserve. The Weir Preserve includes 110 acres of diverse woodland and wetland habitat owned by the Weir Farm Art Alliance, a park partner. 

Today the Burlingham House serves as the park's visitor center where you can talk with Park Rangers, sign up for tours, obtain Junior Ranger program materials, explore museum exhibits, watch the park film, pick up free-to-use art supplies, and visit the Eastern National bookstore. Public restrooms are available seasonally and located in the nearby Burlingham Barn building, just down the accessible path.

The Burlingham House Visitor Center is open seasonally, Wednesday through Sunday, 10:00 am - 4:00 pm. The building is wheelchair accessible.

From November 1st to April 30th, all park buildings are closed for the off season, including restroom facilities.

Weir Farm National Historical Park

Last updated: November 2, 2022