This site allows access to a section of the Cuyahoga River Water Trail that is suitable for beginners. A mowed path leads from the southeast corner of the parking lot to the river. Two dams were removed downstream in 2020, improving paddler safety and lowering the water level here.
Things to Know for Paddlers
- Paved parking lot, restrooms, picnic tables, drinking water, hiking and biking trails, train station.
- River-related exhibits near the trailhead kiosk and along the Towpath Trail.
- View of Station Road Bridge is popular with photographers.
- Dropoff/pickup option on Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad during Bike Aboard season with fee. Board downstream at Rockside Station and ride to Brecksville Station. Paddle to Lock 39 (located next to Rockside Station), walk to Rockside Station parking lot and drive back to pick up your boat.
- Pedal/paddle option. Use the Towpath Trail to bike/run/walk back from Lock 39 Trailhead.
- Class I downstream paddle to Lock 39 involves one permanent hazard.
- Before Lock 39 Trailhead, tall metal pylons in the river can create log jams. Portage right if needed. Know the river flow before you go. Check river gauges.
Station Road Bridge Water Access
Cuyahoga River access map