This adobe chapel is a Santa Fe Trail landmark, and was in use before 1626,. Partly destroyed in the 1680 Pueblo Revolt, it was rebuilt in 1710. Its bulto (wooden statue) of St. Michael predates 1709; its wooden reredos (altar screen), painted in 1798, sits above the original altar. Its jewel-studded bell was cast in 1856. The church served the Barrio de Analco (the District on the Other Side of the Water) and St. Michael’s College daily until 1967.
Last updated: December 23, 2020