Last updated: May 14, 2021
A hike to a dazzling 67 foot waterfall. For most of this hike, you’ll be on a beautiful trail in one of the Park’s federally designated Wilderness areas. Pets must be on a physical leash no longer than 6 feet at all times.
Distance: 4-mile circuit hike
Difficulty: Moderate (explanation of our hiking difficulty scale)
Hiking Time: 4 hours 30 minutes
Elevation Gain: 910 feet
- From the Fishers Gap Parking Area (mile 49.4), cross Skyline Drive and start down the fire road.
- Just after the chain, take a left onto the Skyland-Big Meadows Horse Trail (yellow-blazed).
- In about 0.6-mile take the blue-blazed Rose River Loop Trail.
- Follow it past the 67-foot falls.
- Continue to the bridge, where you begin hiking up a steep, rocky section past beautiful cascades.
- At the fire road (yellow-blazed), turn right across bridge.
- For an added treat (and about .25-mile more hiking), you can take the Dark Hollow Falls Trail to the base of the falls and back.
- Then continue uphill about one mile back to Skyline Drive.