The Quincy Mining Company built the Quincy Smelting Works on the banks of the Portage Canal in 1898. Quincy constructed the smelter to refine and ship its own copper, as well as to accept custom work from neighboring mining operations. In 1978, the Historic American Engineering Record documented the smelter complex in its study of the Quincy Mining Company. Due to the integrity of the historic resources at the site, the National Park Service then included the complex in the Quincy Mining Company National Historic Landmark District, and ultimately within the boundaries of Keweenaw National Historical Park.
Last updated: May 20, 2021