Last updated: January 23, 2022
Abbotts Lagoon Trailhead
Historical/Interpretive Information/Exhibits, Information Kiosk/Bulletin Board, Parking - Auto, Recycling, Toilet - Vault/Composting, Trailhead, Trash Dumpster
Abbotts Lagoon Trailhead is located along Pierce Point Road. Abbotts Lagoon is known for fantastic birding opportunities (particularly in the fall and winter), and beautiful wildflowers in the spring.
Suggested Routes From This Trailhead
Hike the Abbotts Lagoon Trail to the Footbridge: 2 miles (3.2 km) roundtrip, easy
Hike the Abbotts Lagoon Trail to the Ocean: 2.8 miles (4.5 km) round trip, easy
App Users: For more information on these specific routes, press the "Things to Do" icon on the park's homepage and select "Hiking" from the list of activities. Find the options listed above, or browse routes that begin at the park's other trailheads.
- Take only pictures; leave only footprints: Almost everything one finds at Point Reyes is protected by law, including shells, rocks, fossils, flowers, and artifacts.
- Please only travel on authorized trails, respect posted signs, and practice Leave No Trace principles when recreating in the park.
- Check current conditions and trail advisories and closures before your visit.
- Bicycles are permitted on the first 0.9 miles (1.5 km) of the Abbotts Lagoon Trail to the footbridge. Bikes are not permitted beyond the footbridge. E-bikes are prohibitted.
- Pets are not permitted on the Abbotts Lagoon Trail. Visit our Pets page to learn where pets are permitted at Point Reyes National Seashore.
- Horses and pack animals are permitted on the Abbotts Lagoon Trail. Please visit our Horse Riding page for more information.
- Drones are not permitted anywhere in Point Reyes National Seashore.
- Glass: Glass containers are prohibited on all Point Reyes Beaches, as well as within 50 feet (15 meters) of Abbotts Lagoon.
The Abbotts Lagoon Trailhead parking lot is approximately 20 minutes by car from the Bear Valley Visitor Center. There is a dirt/gravel parking lot on the west side of Pierce Point Road 3.4 miles (5.4 km) from its junction with Sir Francis Drake Boulevard. The parking lot can accommodate ~40 vehicles. A vault toilet is located at the parking lot.
Directions to Bear Valley
Directions from Bear Valley to the Abbotts Lagoon Trailhead