The Paul H. Douglas Center for Environmental Education is your gateway to the stunning Paul H. Douglas Trail through Miller Woods and the longer trail to the beach. The Douglas Center is designed to connect you to the surrounding natural environment through educational hands-on exhibits, ranger-guided hikes, lectures, nature-based arts and crafts, and play. With year-round programming, the Douglas Center offers a variety of educational opportunities and family-friendly outdoor activities like cross-country skiing, snowshoeing, kayaking, hiking.
Be sure to check out our calendar of events page for a comprehensive list of all ranger-led programs.
For more information on the educational programs offered for school field trips please see our educational page.
- Nature Play Zone - Explore and play using nature as a backdrop. Dig tunnels, climb a tree, explore animal tracks, or build a fort using driftwood. The Nature Play Zone is the perfect spot for the kid in all of us to connect with nature through play.
- Ranger-Guided Summer Adventures - Join us for summertime fun like hiking, paddling, birding, and biking on ranger-led programs. Check out our calendar of events for a list of our programs.
- Ranger-Guided Winter Adventures - The Indiana Dunes is a breathtaking place to visit any time of year. In the winter, join a ranger and learn how to cross-country ski and/or snowshoe through the dunes. Equipment is provided free on a first-come first-served basis.
Lectures and Exhibits
The Paul H. Douglas Center for Environment Education connects scientific studies performed within the Park to the public through various types of exhibited displays, lectures, and workshops.
- See, touch, and learn about some the various animals that live within the park in our Animal Room.
- Make fun nature-based crafts to take home in our craft room.
- Interested in becoming a Junior Ranger? Want to see the video about the Indiana Dunes National Park? Perhaps get your passport stamped? The Paul H. Douglas Center for Environmental Education is here to help.