Established in 1796 as a link between the fur trading center of Kodiak to the north and the rapidly southward-moving sea otter population pursued by the Russians, New Russia was the cause of great friction between the Yakutat Tlingit and the Russians. In 1805, the Tlingit attacked and destroyed the trading post. Aside from intermittent visits, Russians and other foreigners were kept away from Yakutat Bay by the Tlingit until the late nineteenth century.
The site of New Russia represents a pivotal incident in the Russian-Tlingit relations that effectively postponed European intrusion into the region for nearly a century. Located on the wet swampy banks of Ankau Creek, the New Russia Site once consisted of seven buildings within a stockade and five without. The site today has no surface remains, but archaeologists believe evidence of the former trading center is buried in the soil and may give insight to this interesting period of Alaska’s history.