Last updated: August 8, 2018
- West 16th Street, between Broadway and Amsterdam, New York City, NY
- National Historic Landmark
- OPEN TO PUBLIC:
- MANAGED BY:
- Columbia University
The first major building of Columbia's new campus was the Low Memorial Library built in 1895-1897. Funds for the library were donated by Seth Low (1850-1916) in honor of his father Abiel Abbot Low (1811-1893), a wealthy importer in the China trade. Seth Low was a Columbia graduate in 1870 and was also President of the University between 1890 and 1901, one of the youngest in the University's history.
Columbia University has long occupied a central place in the architectural life of America, its campus design by McKim, Mead and White is today recognized as a classic of Beaux-Arts planning principles, and its centerpiece, the majestic Low Memorial Library, is appreciated as a masterwork of its architect, Charles Follen McKim.
Modeled after the Pantheon in Rome, Low Library was conceived as the visual and academic focal point of the campus plan, housing both administrative offices and the college libraries. Designed on a Greek cross plan, the Library is composed of a central, octagonal hall with upper galleries, ambulatory, four corner staircases, and the four projecting arms of the cross. The great hall served originally as the library's principal reading room, and was modeled after the main reading room of the British Museum in London. The room contained side, corner, and central bookcases for 12,000 volumes, and was dominated by a circular arrangement of tiered desks fitted with bronze reading lamps. These desks surrounded a central reference desk bordered by four columns. An elaborate iron configuration rested on the column capitals, supporting a central, four-faced clock crowned by a bronze eagle. A white sphere was suspended from the center of the domed ceiling, designed to produce the effect of a luminous moon, by reflecting light from lamps situated in the galleries. A stack room beneath the reading room housed 150,000 volumes while the galleries above shelved an additional 16,000 books. At full capacity the library was expected to accommodate 1.9 million volumes.
However, the large central space never really worked as a library reading room. The library was much more successful as a ceremonial space and administrative offices and since 1934, this civic monument has been used for exhibitions, convocations, and a reception area. King George VI of England, Winston Churchill, and Queen Juliana of the Netherlands were all welcomed here.
Centrally located on the main axis of the campus, the Low building is the symbolic center of Columbia University. It is separated from the street by several flights of steps, two landings, and a wide landscaped esplanade. Midway up the stairs is the seated statue of Alma Mater by Daniel Chester French. Here, weather permitting, graduation ceremonies are held with the classic Beaux-arts Low Memorial as a backdrop.
The Low Memorial Library was designated a National Historic Landmark on December 23, 1987.
Read the full nomination.
Find out more about the National Historic Landmarks program.