Place

Longfellow House - Washington's Headquarters

Large three-story yellow house with symmetrical facade, 12 windows, and two chimneys
The house connects to American stories of freedom, enslavement, Revolution, literature, and culture.

NPS Photo

Quick Facts

Accessible Rooms, Assistive Listening Systems, Braille, Cellular Signal, Historical/Interpretive Information/Exhibits, Information - Ranger/Staff Member Present, Public Transit, Wheelchair Accessible, Wheelchairs Available

Longfellow House - Washington's Headquarters, also known as the Vassall-Craigie-Longfellow House, was built in 1759 for wealthy landowner John Vassall. During the Siege of Boston in 1775-1776 it served as home and headquarters to George Washington and his military staff. Land speculator Andrew Craigie significantly expanded the structure in the early 1790s. In 1837, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow rented rooms in the house that would eventually become home to his family for generations. The 11,500-square-foot house has a high level of integrity, preservation, and documentation. The house is an outstanding example of Georgian architecture, so famous that it strongly influenced Colonial Revival architecture and was replicated in many parts of the country as an American historic icon.

A project through the Save America's Treasures Grant Program, which helps preserve nationally significant historic properties and collections, funded work to conserve Longfellow House collections in 1999. Restoration work included conserving books, furnishings, and decorative arts at the Longfellow House National Historic Site.

Longfellow House Washington's Headquarters National Historic Site

Last updated: December 6, 2021