Locust Grove was built around 1790 by Major William Croghan and his wife, Lucy Clark Croghan in Louisville, Kentucky. Lucy was William Clark’s sister. Locust Grove was visited by a number of national figures, including James Monroe, Andrew Jackson, Zachary Taylor, John James Audubon, and Aaron Burr.
Architecturally, Locust Grove is a fine example of the frontier's adaptation of Georgian styling. Each floor of the two and one-half story brick residence contains four rooms divided by an axis hallway. A kitchen, servants quarters, well, dairy and log cabin have been rebuilt on excavated foundations.
On November 9, 1806, Lewis and Clark stopped at Locust Grove on their way back to St. Louis. The citizens of Louisville threw a banquet ball and lit bonfires in their honor. On November 13, 1806, Lewis and Clark parted - Lewis went to Monticello to see President Jefferson and Clark went to Fincastle, Virginia.