Last updated: July 25, 2019
The Lackawanna Valley National Heritage Area or Lackawanna Heritage Valley is a National Heritage Area and state heritage area located in northeastern Pennsylvania. Centered on Scranton, the heritage area encompasses the watershed of the Lackawanna River in Lackawanna, Susquehanna, Wayne, and Luzerne counties.
The Lackawanna River Heritage Trail is among the heritage area’s most popular amenities. The trail is part of a 70-mile multi-purpose trail system that follows the Lackawanna River. It begins at the confluence of the Lackawanna and Susquehanna Rivers in Pittston and travels north where it connects with the Delaware & Hudson Rail Trail, continuing on to the New York State border.
Lackawanna Heritage Valley Authority (LHVA) is the coordinating entity for Lackawanna Heritage Valley. LHVA develops forty miles of the trail system from Pittston to Fell Township. The organization is a partnership of government, business, civic organizations, and individuals dedicated to the development of the region’s historic, cultural, economic, and natural resources through preservation, education, and promotion of the region’s heritage
The mission of the Lackawanna Heritage Valley is to facilitate community action in the preservation, promotion, and development of the region’s history, cultural heritage, and natural resources.
The goals of Lackawanna Heritage Valley include:
- Telling the story of the Lackawanna Heritage Valley
- Facilitating partnerships
- Preserving and enhancing the physical character and economic vitality of the communities in the Lackawanna Valley
- Improving the visitor experience
- Reconnecting people and communities to the Lackawanna River
The following NPS units are located in Lackawanna Heritage Valley:
The Lackawanna Heritage Valley also includes the following historic sites:
- Anthracite Heritage Museum
- Carbondale Historical Society & Museum
- Electric City Trolley Museum
- Everhart Museum of Natural History, Science & Art
- Lackawanna Coal Mine Tour
- Lackawanna Historical Society at the Catlin House
- Lackawanna County Courthouse
- Radisson Lackawanna Station
- Scranton Cultural Center at the Masonic Temple
- Scranton Iron Furnaces