Fort Bunker Hill was built in the fall of 1861 by the 11th Massachusetts Infantry, and was named after the Revolutionary fortification at Bunker Hill, Massachusetts.
It occupied an important position between Fort Totten and Fort Lincoln. Thirteen guns and mortars were mounted in the fort. The 11th Vermont Infantry Regiment, Company F, was assigned there to assist in defense of the city until November 17, 1862. Unfortunately, little evidence of Fort Bunker Hill is still visible today.