- Washington, DC
- Civil War Fort
- National Park
- OPEN TO PUBLIC:
Fort Bayard was built to overlook River Road, a historically important route into the capital from the north. Connected by rifle-pits to Fort Simmons and Fort Reno, Fort Bayard mounted four 20-pounder Parrott rifles and two 12-pounder field howitzers. Today, located at the intersection of River Road NW and Western Avenue NW, the site retains no visible remains of the fort.
Fort Bayard was named for Brig. Gen. George D. Bayard of the 1st Pennsylvania Cavalry, who was mortally wounded at Fredericksburg on December 13, 1862.