The Burlingham Barn is one of the many historic farm buildings preserved by the National Park Service. Alterations were made in the 1990’s, creating a classroom space and public restrooms. It is a typical "English barn" built between the late 1700s and the early 1800s. Today the Burlingham Barn is a multi-use facility that houses seasonal restrooms.
The Burlingham Barn is a typical "English Barn" thought to have been built before 1843, when it appeared as an item in William Webb's purchase of the property. However, the barn might date to when the Burlingham House was built (ca. 1775). The Burlingham Barn has a prominent middle door on the barn's side wall similar to other English barns from that time period.
Julian Alden Weir would be inspired to artistically render the barn even when the property was owned by William Webb. He produced a series of etchings that focused on the south-west corner of the barn and the near-by gate. Weir would later acquire the barn as part of his 1907 purchase of the 50 acre Webb property.
Following the death of Julian Alden Weir and his second wife, Ella, Dorothy Weir Young inherited the Branchville Farm. She gave the adjoining farm property, including the Burlingham Barn to her sister Cora Weir Burlingham. Between 1932 and 1938 the Burlinghams completed several alterations to the barn. The main doorway was shorted from a height of 12-feet to the current 8-foot 6-inch height. Two additional doors were also built to flank the main doorway. Even after all the renovations, the Burlingham barn still has the original 19th-century post-and-beam timbers.
Today the Burlingham Barn is a multi-use facility for lectures, gallery talks, workshops, and meetings. There are also seasonal accessible restrooms in the building.
From November 1st to April 30th, all park buildings are closed for the off season, including restroom facilities.