Battery Kemble was located at an elevation on Ridge Road (now Nebraska Avenue). It was completed in the Autumn of 1861, as part of the Fort Circle. The battery held two 100-pounder Parrott rifles, placed in such a way as to sweep Chain Bridge and Virginia beyond.
Today, the parapet and gun positions are fairly well-preserved and remain visible. The site is located within Battery Kemble Park, bounded by Chain Bridge Road, MacArthur Boulevard, 49th Street, and Nebraska Avenue, NW. Battery Kemble was named after Gouveneur Kemble of Cold Springs, New York, former superintendent of West Point Foundry.