Pictionary: D

Depot

Earthworks Around Petersburg
Library of Congress

A depot was a place to store and ship supplies for the armies. A large supply depot was established at City Point, where General Ulysses S. Grant located his headquarters during the siege of Petersburg. From City Point, the Union army took advantage of the railroads to ship supplies to the Union soldiers fighting in Petersburg several miles away.


Dictator

Dictator
Library of Congress

The 13-inch seacoast mortar used by Union soldiers in the siege of Petersburg. The largest of the mortars, the Dictator could fire a two hundred pound shell a maximum range of two and a half miles. The Dictator was used mainly by Union soldiers in the summer of 1864. Soldiers of both armies preferred the smaller coehorn mortar which proved much more effective on the Petersburg lines.


Division

A division is a unit of the army. A division is a military unit composed of three brigades led by a major general.

Last updated: February 26, 2015

Park footer

Contact Info

Mailing Address:

Petersburg National Battlefield Administration Office
1539 Hickory Hill Road

Petersburg , VA 23803

Phone:

804 732-3531 x200
If you cannot reach us by phone - please e-mail questions to the address listed.

Contact Us

Stay Connected