August 21, 1864
Gen. A.P. Hill (CSA) personally oversaw the Confederate attack on August 21. With the new fortified positions the Union thwarted the Confederate charges.
With this success, Grant extended his siege lines (and his military railroad) further west, cutting off Petersburg's primary rail connection with an important supply center that was also the Confederacy's last open seaport - Wilmington, North Carolina. Lee was now forced to off-load supplies from rail cars farther south and haul them by wagon thirty miles up Boydton Plank Road to Petersburg.
Back to Battles of the Siege
Last updated: February 26, 2015