Table of Contents
1. The Sequoia Stone Disk Incident
2. Pothunters and Professors
3. The Antiquities Act
4. The First Monuments
5. "Warning Sign" Preservation
6. Second-Class Sites
7. Boss Pinkley's Domain
8. Turf Wars
9. The New Deal and the National Monuments
10. History and the National Monuments
11. The Antiquities Act and the Modern Park System
Appendix. Chronology of National Monument Establishment
Index (omitted from online edition)
Note on the Author
First published as Preserving Different Pasts: The American National Monuments.
Copyright © 1989 by the Board of Trustees of the University of Illinois
This paperback edition is published by the University Press of Kansas
by arrangement with the University of Illinois Press. All rights
The paper used in this publication meets the minimum
requirements of the American National Standard for Permanence of Paper
for Printed Library Materials. Z39.48-1984.
Library of Congress Cataloging-in-Publication Data
Rothman, Hal, 1958-
[Preserving different pasts]
America's national monuments / Hal Rothman.
Originally published: Urbana: University of Illinois Press, c.1989.
ISBN 0-7006-0672-6 (paperback; alk. paper)
1. National MonumentsUnited States. 2. MonumentsUnited
StatesConservation and restoration. I. Title.
For my parents,
Neal and Rozann,
And in memory of
Lisa Eller Bruhn