Survey of Historic Sites and Buildings
This house was erected by David Buttolph during the 1690's. The next owner, Benjamin Beldon, probably used it as a tavern. In 1721, Daniel Williams purchased it and his family retained possession for many years. Recognizing the house as a striking example of a 17th-century Connecticut home, in 1947 the Antiquarian and Landmarks Society of Connecticut acquired it. During restoration, the relatively recent clapboards were removed, and the original thin, pine clapboards were uncovered. The house features the typical large central chimney, overhangs, and small windows. Inside is an excellent collection of early colonial furniture and kitchen furnishings. The house is open to the public during the period May 15October 15.
NHL Designation: 11/24/68
This restored massive stone house dates from about 1639, 3 years after Henry Whitfield established Guilford. Whitfield erected it not only to shelter his wife and seven children but also to serve as a community meetinghouse and a garrison house during Indian attacks. Greatly damaged by fire in 1865, the house was reconstructed in 1868. However, only about a third of it is originalthe rear wall, huge chimney on the north, and foundation.
The style, that of an English Midlands manor of the 16th or 17th centuries, is notable for steep roof and thick walls. On the first floor are the kitchen and a spacious hall, 33 by 15 feet, which has a large fireplace at each end. Living quarters are upstairs. The house is furnished with 17th-century pieces, and features exhibits of early weaving and metalworking. An herb garden outside the house is also of interest. Owned and operated by the State of Connecticut, the house is open to the public throughout the year except during the period December 15 to January 15.
NHL Designation: 09/25/97
This house, erected in 1672, retains many of its 17th-century characteristics: Massive central chimney, gable-end overhang, and clap-boarded sides. It is a sharp-peaked saltbox house, furnished with period pieces. Moved to its present location in 1924, it is owned by the Society for the Preservation of New England Antiquities and is open to the public during July and August.
About 1660 Thomas Lee II built this single-room residence, to which additional rooms were later addedin 1695 and during the period 1730-35. It is perhaps the oldest frame building in Connecticut. The Lee family occupied an important position in the life of the colony. Thomas Lee II served as constable and held a seat in the General Assembly in 1676; he also owned a considerable amount of land. Thomas Lee III, a justice of the peace for more than 40 years, used the house as his office.
The front of the house is dignified by a cornice and a handsome doorway, over which are five small window-lights. The east room, the original room, is sheathed with shadow-molded boards. The rooms to the west are plastered and paneled. All parts of the structure benefited from a 1914 restoration. The house, which contains period furnishings, is open to visitors between June 15 and September 15.
Last Updated: 22-Mar-2005