Commercial Use Authorizations

Commercial Use Authorizations (CUAs) are limited authorizations issued by the National Park Service (NPS) to commercial groups (individuals, corporations and other entities) to provide specific services to park area visitors. Commercial services authorized under a CUA must be determined to be an appropriate use of the park; have minimal impact on park resources and values; and be consistent with the purpose for which the unit was established.

CUAs are required for:temporary food vending, guided commercial trips including fishing, hunting, hiking, and horse rides. Other services may be considered for a CUA and are subject to approval.

  • CUAs within Ozark National Scenic Riverways are issued for one year.
  • There is no right or guarantee of renewal. Permittee must reapply for a new CUA for succeeding periods upon expiration of the current CUA.
  • CUAs are issued for a yearly fee.
  • CUAs are not considered concession contracts. These services need not be "necessary" but are "appropriate."
  • Commercial business activity is prohibited within the park unless a CUA has been granted by the park (36 CFR Sec. 5.3).


Park Specific Terms and Conditions

In addition to the general conditions found in all NPS administered CUAs, park specific requirements may apply as well. Applicants should carefully review these terms and conditions upon receipt of the application packet, as they set out the CUA holder's rights and obligations in the event that a CUA is issued.

CUA Fees

The authority for the NPS to impose user charges to recover costs associated with managing commercial operations is found in 31 U.S.C. 9701 and 16 U.S.C. 3a. Application fees for CUAs are non-refundable. The application fee is $100.00. Administration and monitoring fees may also apply.

Liability Insurance

The NPS requires all permittees to carry liability insurance.

Reporting Requirements

Annual Survey Report: The Annual Survey Report is due on March 1.

Monthly Visitation Report: Monthly Visitation Reports are due for each month of operation.

How to Apply

For a Commercial Use Authorization Packet, email us.

Note that this in an initial application only and does not serve as permission to conduct any commercial use of the park. Upon receipt of your request a Commercial Use Authorization/Application packet will be sent providing the proposed commercial service meets the approved criteria for authorization. The permitting process can take four or more weeks.

For additional information about the Commercial Use Authorization program at Ozark National Scenic Riverways please contact the Commercial Services Program Office at 573-323-4864 or e-mail.

Last updated: December 29, 2017

Contact the Park

Mailing Address:

P.O. Box 490
Van Buren, MO 63965


(573) 323-4236

Contact Us